Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The Enabler

Apparently quitting being an enabler is more of a step by step process. I was ambitious to think I could quit all at once. If I could have quit all at once, no turning back, then I would not have been calling parents this afternoon and insisting that our children get together to finish their project. If I could have quit all at once I would not have been at Ace Hardware purchasing new mouse trap car wheels etc. If I could have quit all at once I would not have been hot-gluing straws to the underside of a tin can this afternoon. If I could have quit all at once, I would not have pinched my finger in a mousetrap as my 12 yr old looked on. Apparently, quitting being an enabler - a mother who wants to help her child not fail, who wants to teach her child how to "make it all work!" and who has a hard time just leaving the room of an ongoing project - is a multi step A-Z process, at which I am only at part A: Stop yelling. The good news is, I got that part down today. I did not yell, and I was calm. However, I also am now very skilled at making a mousetrap car. Hopefully my son is also.

No comments:

Post a Comment