Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Partner to run with

Almost every morning for the past week my 12 yr old son and I have headed out for a 3 mi run. This may seem like a little thing to some, but to me, the mom of a kiddo who would much rather sit at his computer and run up scores on Pokemon games than run on the sidewalk, it is a BIG thing. When we began our "training" for a 5k coming up in a couple weeks, a month ago, I was met with much resistance, much laziness, and a big bad attitude. I didn't want to over push him, but I wanted a healthy son and I wanted to do this together. Suddenly about a week ago I changed up our routine a bit. I suggested running around town, rather than the track. I suggested using his ipod for some good running music. I don't know if it was the new plan or his getting tired of listening to my urging, but we are on a roll. And it is  helping me so much. I mean as much as I want my 12  yr old to be healthy, I also really need my own motivation to get out there and exercise. I am 36 and the metabolism is not as friendly as it was at 26. So today, when my alarm went off and I was soooooo tempted to just turn it off and go back to sleep, I thought of my 12 yr old who would be missing out on his workout too, and I was able to pry myself out of bed. And then when I walked into his room expecting to find him snoozing, but instead found him up and raring to go this morning, I was further motivated to get out the door. A partner to run with is essential. Thank you to Scotty for being my motivation and helping me get out the door for some exercise...not to mention some fabulous bonding with my 12 yr old boy, who is...well even for all his maturity and intelligence and kindness...a 12  yr old boy.

Also I really don't want to forget:
-Whenever a new song comes on Scotty's ipod as we are running, he yells out its title. I don't why this tickles me so, but it does.
-Halfway through our run this morning, when I was beginning to talk to Scotty about how far we would run before taking a small walking rest, Scotty surprised me by saying (and further accomplishing) that he wanted to run "to the Y" which was our 2.5 mi marker, and was MUCH farther than I expected him to say he wanted to run before a rest. Love his determination.
-For the last block of our run, Scotty breaks into a full sprint (or as close as he can get to it at the end of a 3mi run) I chase him down. Very fun.

1 comment:

  1. love it. Tyson, my dog if you don't know me, is my running partner, and I honestly feel bad if i skip a run bc i know he is just dying to get out there. When i get out my running shoes and start to put them on, he gets really excited, starts to get hyper and turns in circles by the door. It's encouraging. Of course, now Laura is somewhat back to being a running partner which is good. JP rides along in the stroller. Can't wait to run with him one day.

    -nick

    ReplyDelete