Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Motley Crew

We were running late for church, literally. We were on foot, and bike and scooter, I think. We rushed in and there stood a very nice greeter asking me, "Would your family mind carrying the gifts up to the altar today?" I say, "Sure, no problem." Then I looked at my crew. Wow. This was going to be uncomfortable. Elaina was in leggings and a t-shirt that was a bit too small. And a messy ponytail. My big boys at least had on collared shirts. But Ben was in track pants, and there was some leftover marshmallow on his chin from the backyard marshmallow roast the night before. Charlie looked similar to Ben. I had on jeans and tennis shoes, but at least a nice top. My husband however had on his "paint" jeans. nice. What a motley crew we were. Monsignor Jack took the wine from my son, shook my hand warmly and said, "Caught off guard this morning?" with a big grin on his face. My plan when I had signed that book in the back of church vollunteering us to carry gifts here and there, was that we would be called ahead of time and I would dress my boys in matching polo shirts and khakis. Their hair would be quaffed oh-so-handsomly. My daughter would be in a sweet delicate dress, large matching bow,and of course coordinating colors with her brothers'. I would be in my most slimming dress, a wraparound number from Ann Taylor. My husband would NOT be in his painting jeans. Surprisingly, many sweet parishioners after mass and throughout the weekend commented to me about our "beautiful family" carrying up the gifts at mass that Sunday. God is so darn funny. Reminding us at the most significant times (like when we are coming to Him in prayer) what is really important and what is not. It is not what we wear, or who we are perceived to be, but who we really are inside. And the Villhards are a motley crew, full of imperfections, full of messy hair and marshmallow chins. And full of reasons to say "yes" to Him even when it is uncomfortable. Also I don't want to forget: Mom: "You need to stop telling me what to do. You are 5 and I am 36." Ben: "Wow, that's a big number." Mom: (Good comeback)

3 comments: