Thursday, March 31, 2011

The Making of The Band

Jack (10) is so excited. Tomorrow at 4:30 a group of 6 boys will be gathering in my home to form...The Band. Jack on electric guitar and lead singer. 2 buddies on guitar also. Another buddy on bass guitar and singing back-up. Brother on keyboard. Neighbor on drums.

Jack's itinerary for the first jam session: (below I will type exactly what he has written very neatly on a sheet of looseleaf - however I will correct his misspellings)

LIST of Rock.

Logic - Rock History (one rock star each week)

Watch and Learn - Listening to the rock stars' music.

Rest of time - Rock ON.

Other - Get cd of 11 songs

Most - Practicing the songs we're doing.

Learn - Learn about the instrument. Homework - Listening to music on cd - practice instrument.

Projects - Make song due next week's Friday.

He is so into this, I know very well that it is taking up most of his brain power whilst he is supposed to be working at school, but I have to admit I am just thrilled to see him so interested in something that he really does seem to have a talent for. So, what does this all mean for me? It means tonight on my date night, my husband and I will be finding a place that has both wifi and alcohol, and we will be downloading music, simplifying it, separating the different parts for different instruments, figuring out "garage band" on my ipad so I can use it to help us, and burning classic rock cds for The Band. It means my photography load and my "freetime" just got replaced by managing The Band. It means that on Fridays, my house will be even louder than usual (however my sweet neighbor and mother of the drummer will likely be holding many of these sessions in her home!). It means I have something super fun to work on with my Jack! : )

2 comments:

  1. Okay... If I haven't said it before, "You're the best mom EVER!" I can't wait to go to one of Jack's rock concerts someday. Tell him Aunt DeDe wants front row and backstage passes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the vote of confidence Dee! I am going to do my best to give this a VERY GOOD RUN, and hopefully they will stick to it and it will work. We are starting VERY simply - one song - and we will go from there. I am sort of into this - I have a t-shirt on today that is sort of funky and says "Rock and Roll" and my hole-y jeans : ) I mean, its pretty cool to be a band manager ; )))

    ReplyDelete