Tuesday, March 15, 2011

What you gonna do wif me?

Charlie walks in with wet pants. He's done so well lately, no accidents. Pooping and peeing on the toilet. But when he walks up with wet pants and sees my frustration on my brow, he's wondering: "Will she huff? Will she give me a chilly shower? Will she do that steady breathing thing where I can tell she is trying not to be mad?" And so he says, "What you gonna do wif me?" A zillion options race through my mind. Its the question that is on kids' minds and parents' minds everywhere when their child has messed up, disobeyed, or both. It raced through my mind as I scanned through one of my other son's returned school tests in the car today. 2 bad papers, 2 decent, 3 wonderful. And then the question, "Mom, can I have a friend over on our half day on thursday?" And in my head, "What am I going to do with him?" In these situations, what I want to do is absolutely nothing. There is a part of me that says, let it all go. Life is short. Just enjoy it. Screw all this training and testing and practicing, and just smile and to the question, "what you gonna do wif me?" answer: "nothing." I get tired of having to make decisions like this. If the kids only knew how badly we really want to just do nothing and then not have to deal with how mad they get about our response. But its our job I guess to figure out what to "do wif them." So, today I just gave the furrowed brow - to both the wet pants and the bad school papers. I think I'll let their dad take it from here. I wonder what he'll do wif them?

No comments:

Post a Comment