Friday, April 23, 2010

Are We There Yet?

Mom, When will we be at DisneyWorld? Mom, When will we be at DisneyWorld? Mom, When will we be at DisneyWorld? Mom, When will we be at DisneyWorld? Tomorrow night Tomorrow night Tomorrow night Tomorrow night Just 6 or 7 more dvds till we are there. The excitement in this Embassy Suites overnight hotel room is staggering. I'm sure this conference center is used to much more refined and quieter days - and nights - I hope we don't get kicked out. But I can't bring myself to shush them. I mean really what can we expect of 5 kids who have been cooped up in the car for 5 hours, some of those hours spent sleeping (blessing and a curse since they are bouncing off the walls right now). Literally, one of my children just smashed himself into a wall and spun around and yelled, "yeehah!" Charlie just keeps running a circle around the 2 small rooms swinging his arms - happy to be free of his carseat I guess. One kid smelled weird after the trip, so has already had a shower. And the other 2 immediately started looking up what movie we could order, because 11:30pm is a perfect time to begin a movie. Oh, and eat pizza. Vacation - you gotta love it! Oh, and I remembered all my kids' clothing for the overnight bag, but (and those of you who know my story won't be surprised) I forgot my own clothing for the overnight bag. Being a parent sure shifts around the priorities - who would have thought I would forget to bring my own clothing?! (And my husband and I are just too exhausted to go back down to the cartop carrier and get me some clothes.) I have become much more low-maintainence since motherhood. Kids are high-maintainence. They just are. Even if your kids are "easy" they still can't change their own diapers, get their own snacks on a road trip. Toddlers can't read their own books. Someone has to cut the grapes in half for them, drive them places. Hold the non-swimmers in the pool. With all these extra things to do for them, we parents don't have time to be getting manicures, ordering complex meals with things "on the side" in restaurants, shopping for the perfect accessories, packing our OWN clothing for a trip. So, we can thank our children for giving us the opportunity to become more simple, humble, less self-absorbed humans. Without them, we may be just a bit too into ourselves!

No comments:

Post a Comment