Thursday, April 22, 2010

New Shoes

I love buying toddlers new shoes. It is like you have just given them a new lease on life. Immediately they begin running around in circles, jumping, "oooo, ahhh! new shoes! new shoes!" They can suddenly jump higher, run faster, smile bigger. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that their new shoes are TWO SIZES bigger than their old pair (in my defense, boys feet grow VERY fast). It is more than getting the correct size. The new pair must wow them, and most brightly colored tennis shoes will do just that. Today, I began my day thinking, "sheesh, lots of errands to run, Charlie (22mos) is not going to have a very fun day." However to my and perhaps Charlie's surprise, it was a whole different story. Once we reached Stride Right Charlie's whole attitude was lifted! A fish tank in the corner may as well have been the Chicago Aquarium. The Bright bulbs in the ceiling may as well have been super planets. The open floor plan - a gymnasium. Add to that a balloon and a cookie and you have Disney World to a 2 yr old. (He hugged a salesperson) No more stroller riding, he was determined in his new shoes to run the length of the mall, balloon in one hand, cookie in the other, smiling at every old person he could find! Spinning, looking over the railing, pointing to the mall fountains, and of course looking down at his new shoes! After all that fun, this tired boy was more than happy to ride in the stroller as I tried on swimsuits - not nearly as fun as shoe shopping - and fall asleep on the car ride home. Oh, if we adults could hang onto that childhood spirit our whole lives. We would be dancing down the isle to communion at church, hugging strangers at the mall (or at least giving them all a smile), running off our baby weight, singing while we make dinner...Fortunately we have these little ones to remind us and draw us back into the childhood innocence and fun. Tomorrow, I think I may just find a fountain to play in - in a new swimsuit! (actually i will probably just stick my hand in.) also, I don't want to forget: -Charlie crawling across the table to eat his sister's spaghetti -Jack made everyone breakfast and lunches today without being asked! -Charlie woke me this morning having pooped his pants, stuck his hand into his pants, and proceeded to make a mess of it all (well, I kind of want to forget this, but I said I would document the "gross" so...) -There are 4 naked, and pretty clean (having bathed themselves) children running around playfully screaming upstairs. I'm sure some day I will miss this. The idea of a quiet household could not seem further away than it does right now. And I'm ok with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment