Sunday, December 5, 2010

The 5th

"Are you content with 5?" I get this question, or a version of it, sometimes not so polite, pretty often. Content? Content? How about ecstatic? I got to have 5 children! And they are cool. I mean really cool people. My 2 year old tonight explained to me for 3 minutes and 46 seconds (I was videoing-it was dark or I would post it) about snowmen and snowballs and getting hit in the head with snowballs, and he had this terribly excited voice and face the whole time. He has seen Frosty the Snowman, the cartoon, but there is no way he actually recalls snow. He was a year and a half the last time it snowed. However, in his "snow monologue" he mentions our inflatable snowman who stands proudly on our front lawn, and I say excitedly, "Do you think that is Frosty!?" And his expression turns very serious and he looks me in the eyes and says, "No. I didn't make him." In his brain he is probably thinking, "what is wrong with my mother? She thinks that nylon guy out there is a real snowman! Crazy woman." I do really wish I knew what they were thinking. Or maybe I couldn't handle knowing actually. Tonight I tried to sing a little Christmas lullaby for Charlie before bed and he kept putting his hand over my mouth and saying "NO!" ouch. But even with him shooting down my song, I am ecstatic to have that 5th. And he calls my name as I type...its like 1am...I've learned to wait...they...usually...fall...back...asleep. As long as they aren't crying a lot. Yep. He's back out : )

1 comment:

  1. Maybe he does remember. At one point, Jacob clearly remembered when he rode in the rear-facing car seat. That is, he remembered me driving everywhere "backwards". I love love love those little glimpses of what's going on in their brains!

    ReplyDelete