Friday, December 3, 2010

I am thankful

Thankful for my naive daughter: I worked a Daisies meeting the other day and I could not be more thankful that my daughter sat at the end of the table with the innocent, naive girls as opposed to the end of the table where the girls thought that they themselves ran the show. And again in Ballet class when 2 girls began to talk about their boyfriends (they are all 6-7) and others began singing the k-i-s-s-i-n-g song in a very snotty, not cute, tone of voice at one of the other little girls, and my daughter just stared at them like they were crazy, I was thankful. When it becomes a challenge to feel thankful is when that same little girl doesn't know a good comeback herself when being teased, and I just wish that at that moment she could summon the rudeness to tell off her peers. But deep down I am still thankful that is not the case. Thankful for my courageous son: He sang a solo in front of one stranger, the choir instructor no less, with pink cheeks and ruffled hair, all alone in a quiet choir room with no accompaniment but his fumbling mother on the piano. When it is a challenge to be thankful is when I worry that he will fail and even with all his bravery, get hurt. Thankful for my patient son: Never getting angry when I put him off endlessly from doing what he would like to do - make playdough, watch Christmas movies, make a craft. And when we finally get to what he wants to do, he is happy and kind and easy. Thankful for my Easy son: Does his own homework without help and has since the first day of kindergarten. And this makes time for the kiddos that need more attention at homework time. The same son has a great sense of self confidence and can handle what his 6th grade peers throw at him with ease because he knows he is above them. Thankful for my funny son: Never a dull moment. Can't help but laugh at him when when he is trying to take off and on his own clothing and gets stuck, discovers his body parts all over again, laughs at everything, and is 100% distractable - which is a GREAT thing right now. And thankful for my husband who knows me better than I know myself. I never understood that statement until I had been married to him for oh.....10 yrs or so I'd say.

No comments:

Post a Comment