Monday, December 13, 2010

Haircuts

Why am I such a psycho about my kids' hair? I love hair. I love long hair, short hair, full hair, silky hair, curly hair and straight hair. But what I HATE is a bad haircut. Seems like a trivial thing to worry about in such a crazy world, but when you count on a cute looking kid to keep you from grounding them for life or worse, you have to keep them - and their hair - looking cute. For instance - when Charlie came to me this morning with hair fiber (a very sticky, putty-like hair gel substance) all over him and then showed me how he put fiber all over the back of the toilet, the counter, the floor, etc, his cute little face and big eyes, and yes, adorable hair framing his little quivering lip, kept me from going a little crazy. However when he then showed me the toothpaste mess in the upstairs bathroom, complete with toothpaste all over himself, the counters, cabinets, rug etc, I was not quite as calm. This was before the cute haircut....after the haircut, who knows??? Also, my 11 yr old counts on his haircut to compliment his physique. My 9 yr old counts on his haircut to help him portray his rockstar attitude. My 7 yr old sees the whole haircutting experience as just that - a whole experience. She treats it like going to the spa, or getting a pedicure. She requests her hair to be washed, not just sprayed down. She wants it styled. And she uses all these little words and intonations when talking to the hairstylist just as I would when I am talking to my stylist. She loves the whole experience, and if I can make her happy with a simple haircut, then why not? Never mind the fact that she has medium long straight hair that I could trim myself for free. So, 5 kids haircuts at Fantastic Sams today - $85 5 kids who no longer look like ragamuffins - Priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment