Saturday, April 23, 2011

Brotherhood

Mom, Where's Charlie? Mom, Where's Charlie? I heard this little chant numerous times throughout the birthday party that my 5 and 2.5 yr old went to together today. It was one of those fun bouncing parties, lots of blow-ups, slides and fun in a big open room. The party was for a friend of mine's son, and the child guests were all strangers to each other. (I would like to quickly note how speedily these kiddos became friends - children are amazing that way. Running around together after just a quick introduction) Still, the kids were all just parallel playing for the most part. So, in this situation who became Ben, my five yr old's go-to buddy? His brother, Charlie. It was quite a nice moment to witness. I hope all the time that I am helping foster friendships between  my children. I even stress about it a bit. But today they gave me a fabulous gift of friendship - to each other.

On our way home from the party I called my husband to tell him the nice situation between our sons that had come about between our young sons, but before I could begin my story, my husband began his. "The boys (Scotty and Jack - 12 and 10) decided they wanted to ride their bikes downtown to get lunch together, but it was raining. They went anyway. They got cheeseburgers. Jack didn't have enough money, so Scotty lent him some." Well now I was just overflowing with more joy! My big boys are friends too!

And as I type this my big boys are fighting as they are helping me make sweet potatoes for Easter. Ahhhhhh, brotherhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment