Monday, April 4, 2011

The Piano Bench

The phone call went like this:


Scotty: Mom, me and Jack have a dilemma. I was trying to practice piano and Jack...

Jack: (in the background) No I didn't! I wasn't doing anything! That's not what happened....

Me: I can't understand what you're saying, can you guys figure this out on your own please?

Scotty: Yes! You did, Stop it! Get off me....

Me: click.

Scotty: (calls me back, sniffling) Mom


Scott: Mom, no, I have to tell you something....jack jumped on the bench with me, and we were sort of fighting over it..

Jack: No I didn't!!!


Scott: and the piano bench leg broke and the bench crushed and fell to the ground.

Me: silence.

Scott: mom, mom, um, mom are you there?

Me: is anyone hurt?

Scott: just the piano bench.

Me: I'll see you both when I get home.
Punishment needs to fit the crime and solve the problem so... Lucky for them, the bench is fixable. However I am making them pay to have it fixed -whether it is their dad or Mr. Fix it who ends up doing the fixing. I'm thinking 3 hours of work - $25 an hour = $75. And Scotty and Jack were saving up for some camps this summer...do they realize these punishments punish us as much or more than them???

However, I AM torn between being angry about the bench and thrilled that they were fighting over who would practice first
!

No comments:

Post a Comment