Wednesday, January 12, 2011

SNOW DAY!

Wow I love snow days. I really do. I wake up to my phone ringing off the hook full of recorded messages about school closings. I roll over and smile and stretch back into slumber for stolen time in my cozy warm bed as outside the snow continues to fall and add to the blanket of white already laid out and making the world quiet and still. And then I get KICKED in the head! Because my 2 year old somehow is in my bed. I don't recall bringing him in, I just see a child determined to sleep perpendicular in between my husband and I. But I don't care. Because it is a snow day! I may just take a NAP later - why? Because its a snow day! I may just lie around and watch Christmas movies while drinking cocoa and eating cookies, why? Because its a snow day! And so the day begins...chocolate chip pancakes are made and devoured, snow pants, gloves, hats, boots and big coats are found, and soon the quiet blanket of white is broken! Snow balls are thrown, snowmen are attempted, and ice is soon running down the kids sleeves and there are knocks at the door to come in for their cocoa. And that's when my favorite part of a snow day begins. The "defrost." Removing the frozen clothing to leave only the under-layer of warmth, that skinny, stuck-to-you clothing that is still warm against your skin. Fresh socks are put on, a fire is started, and cocoa is drunk as our feet are tucked under us and our cheeks begin to melt...finally. I look around the room to see pink cheeks surrounding me, and there is a nice lull that seeps into the rest of the day. The beautiful Snow Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment