Wednesday, January 19, 2011

We Mothers

We mothers only want what's best for our children that is clear We mothers share our stories over coffee as we're in tears We swear we're ready to beat up the bully or take down the bully's parents We swear we cannot understand why teachers don't see what is so apparent We bring their lunch up to school, then question if we should have We worry we're not teaching the lessons the books say we could have We mothers think all day about how to get our kids to learn We mothers risk upsetting their teachers by talking out of turn We worry we aren't doing enough, we worry we're doing too much We worry that we did too much laundry, instead of playing blocks and such We swear tomorrow we'll pull out the puzzles and then we play all day We then begin to worry no one has clean clothing put away We mothers never stop thinking of the future for our sons We mothers play out in our heads what we're afraid they will never have done We freak about our daughters and keeping them safe from harm We freak about other mothers who don't seem to heed our alarm We mothers only want what is best for our children that is clear Thank God we have each other, no one but other mothers could understand our fears. Tonight I thank God for all of my wonderful mother friends - you all know who you are. Charlie just crawled into bed with me and said, "I'm starving outside." Outside? I offered him a cracker from my nightstand, and that seemed to do the trick. Wonder what he was dreaming..?

1 comment:

  1. I love this and it is so true. My kids are 19 and 16 and the same thoughts still go through my head just on a different level at this point! They grow too fast and I do not regret one park lunch, one day at the beach or one game night with a house that was always a little dis-sheveled! Enjoy them while they are young and you will never regret it.

    ReplyDelete