Saturday, July 17, 2010

The basement

When we first went looking at homes, the basement was a must. We didn't even consider a house without one. I need a place to send the kids when they are too rowdy. I need a place that doesn't have to look quite so clean when people visit. I need a place to hide away the clutter and at times, the dog, etc. So, you can imagine my surprise at myself when I began hating the basement today. Why do I hate the basement right now? Well, mainly because the basement has been at the core of almost all of my kid's and my arguing lately. One of the kids is too scared to go down there alone. This causes such drama every time he has to go down there to find his shoes. first he insists I go with him, then his brother, then finally the dog, although I am nt quite sure what our yorkie would do to fend off a "monster in the basement." Also, the basement has become the place where the kids seem to break things. All 3 of our Lazyboys are now on their last leg. The Wii even is getting banged up. And the worst argument causer of all....The Disaster they make in the basement. So, today as I was hurting my own head with my yelling about the mess, the broken Lazyboys and the trip we weren't going to take unless they "cleaned it ALL up!!!"...I was thinking "perhaps if we didn't have this darn basement, half the arguing around here would end." Of course then I would likely begin to dislike my main floor too, and that just wouldn't do. So, I guess I need to find a way to get these kids to clean up regularly down there, and conquer their fears of monsters, and sit on the floor instead of the furniture I guess! Because on crazy, loud days like today - I NEED the basement! Looking forward to a road trip to WI with the fam tomorrow! Church at 7:30 am will be a nice way to start off the trip, however Pete and I will likely be a bit exhausted after we do our "church dance" that we go through each week : )

No comments:

Post a Comment