Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Big Boys Night Out

We let Scotty and Jack each invite a friend out to dinner and to a movie. Actually, I chose the friends, called the parents, and then informed my boys of the plans. I do this for a few reasons: 1. If I have to call a few friends before someone is available, there are no hurt feelings and disappointments. 2. If no one ends up being available at all, then I call it a family night out and no one knows otherwise. 3. I like to choose the friends we take places. I pick the ones with the nicest parents, and therefore they are usually the most polite kids. I also try to choose the kids who seem to be most compatible with my kids, because believe it or not, my kids wouldn't necessarily always make that choice themselves. So, we are headed to the movie in the car and my husband and I have to stifle laughter numerous times because of our children's conversation choices. Jack is in the backseat basically just making weird noises and faces and the amazing thing is that his friend is completely entertained, and reciprocating quite well (like I said, I pick compatible kids for my kids). Scotty and his friend, are having a conversation about why television is entertaining even though you just sit and watch other people do the interesting stuff. They talk about the books they are reading and how excited they are about the new library opening soon in our town. When we arrive at the movie theater the kids can't wait to break off into friend pairs and sit on their own. So, my husband and I are at this point on a date at a cartoon movie. I'll take it. However, I have had a long day and fall asleep halfway through the movie. I wake in time to realize the ending is touching and even tear up at the sweet lesson of the "vulnerability of children and the heart softening ability of children" that ends up being the moral of the story. On the way home I am thrilled and thankful that my 9 and 11 year old boys are still entertained by this level of movie. And at this moment, Jack is putting Charlie to bed, because he heard Charlie climb out of bed, and Scotty is trying to coax our dog to sleep with him, since our dog, Bear's, best friend, Elaina, is out over night. What nurturing boys I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment