Friday, July 30, 2010

Responsible, kind kids

Spent a lovely and very fun evening with adult friends last night. Was feeling it a little this morning, so slept in a bit...well, not really sleeping, more of that dosing where you can tell what's going on, but aren't really involved. So I hear my 6 year old, Elaina, downstairs making her little brothers some cereal. The older boys went to Lacrosse camp. Then I hear her putting dishes in the sink. She tries to answer the phone for me. She eventually brings me the phone and says, "Dad said I'm in charge. I'm in charge." And continues to "take charge" of the little guys even when I am up and going. So funny. I pick up my big boys from lacrosse and we need groceries badly. I really don't want to take 5 kids into Trader Joes and Omaha Steak co. So, I get cash and send in Scotty. He loves to grocery shop. I can just see him in there pushing the cart around like a little man, Getting all the necessities. He always comes out with one extra item not on the list. He just came out. Today it was saltwater taffy. Oh and he was eating a Cliff bar. What a funny little guy. My husband and I took a parenting class. The section on "making kids responsible humans" had a lot to do with letting them make their own mistakes and letting them forget their lunch or coat or homework and not bringing their items up to school for them. "Next time they won't forget.." - being the idea. I've got my own idea on this topic: Some kids are in compact little families where their responsibilities basically lie in the "remembering your own stuff" arena. Other families, more like mine, require their kids to give each other baths sometimes, grocery shop sometimes, make meals for each other sometimes, and more. For this reason, I am happy to bring my kiddos their lunches, homework etc, if I am helping them have a good day. Because they help me have good days all the time too, by doing these big responsibility laden tasks. I think it teaches them that we do things for each other to help out and to be kind. Just my take on that subject. Also I don't want to forget: -starbucks for breakfast with 3 kids still in pjs. Charlie kept saying, "my coffee."

No comments:

Post a Comment