Sunday, July 4, 2010

Who do you say I Am?

About a week ago I recall the priest at church speaking on the passage in the bible where Jesus says, "Who do you say I am?" He questioned the congregation on who others would say we are. He reminded us that it was people like our children and spouses whose opinions we should be most concerned with. And ultimately God's opinion of us as the most important. Ever since that sermon, that question of "who my kids say I am" has been on my mind. Some days to my chagrin I know they would say I am a dictator. Telling them what needs to get done, and making sure they do it. Other days they would call me a teacher. Making them read, making them follow along doing art projects. I recall a specific day that they may call me a clown. Dancing crazy in the kitchen, trying to cheer up crabby kids. Some days 'doctor' as I kiss and bandage boo boos, other days 'meany' as I refuse to let them do something they want to do or buy something they want to buy. Still other days, too many other days, they would likely just call me 'busy.' But for the last few days I have been none of these. For 4 days I was not physically at home, and for the last 12 hours I've been literally attached to 2 recovering toddlers, watching cartoons and holding them, feeding them, patting them, just BEING with them. And they really just want to BE with me. Even as I went for a bathroom break, I soon heard little footsteps and a knock at the door, "Mommy? Mommy?" They just want to be where I am today. And just being where I am is making them feel better. Jesus taught, healed and more, but people just wanted to be in His presence, touch Him and have Him touch them. Just being with Jesus was enough for people who believed in Him. Mothers have been given this mission, to be like Jesus for our children so they can believe in us and in turn believe in Jesus. I pray we can even give them a glimpse of Jesus each day. Because without even looking closely we can see Jesus in our children. It would be great to live up to who our children are and who our children would say we are on our best days.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, Julie!

    This has been so on my mind lately as my 6-yr old son, who is campaigning to live with a variety of other family (and WHY does he not ADORE me?? His brothers did at this age.), said yesterday, "I can't believe my mom actually AGREES with me," after I had, indeed, taken his side in one of the many ridiculous arguments he has with his teenage brothers. And I thought, "Do I argue with him THAT much? Is that how he sees me? Always not on his side? How sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know. There is a poem on our fridge that jack wrote at school about me. This is it:

    Julie
    Pretty
    Looks Nice
    Loved, liked, loving
    Sweet, photographer, responsible, busy
    working, phone talking,
    cooking, art
    MOM

    Gave me great insight into what he sees. Some of the poem thrilled me obviously, but I couldn't help but worry as I read, "busy, working, phone talking"
    I guess it could have been worse. And thankfully he wrote this on a day that he was not upset at me : )

    ReplyDelete