Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Orthodontist

You know you are walking into an expensive situation when the waiting room is nicer than your home. Seriously, it has a coffee bar, a game room, a movie theater, a toy area, multiple televisions, a snack bar, an Internet cove, and the receptionist was wearing a sequined top. Sequins. Really? The Orthodontist's assistant person found me sleeping in the theater when it was time for my consultation about the boy's teeth. I was bummed to have to join her in the office. Apparently so were my boys, because they all resisted embarrassingly strongly to leaving the "fun rooms." While In the office my son told the orthodontist that he has "never flossed even one day of his whole entire life." (In my defense, it is awkward enough to floss one's own teeth, but your 9 year old Son's?) Many future plans for the kids teeth were discussed, but nothing needs to be done for now. No, for now we go to their office every 6 months, enjoy their entertainment, and probably pay out the wazoo for it. I'm guessing, eventually they will "need" major orthodontics and our dentist's office is working in ca hoots with this ortho office to suck us in with their fanciness and friendliness. Our dentist's office receptionist is also ridiculously friendly...it creeps me out a little bit...reminds me of a Twilight Zone episode where people had bandaids on the backs of their necks because of having had their brains sucked out and replaced by alien brains, or something like that. But I digress. So I spend half the day at the orthodontist's, and the other half shopping for "cool" clothes with Scotty for middle school. This was tricky because in this scenario I was the one who insisted on the "cool" clothes. Not my son. In the end I think we successfully will have him outfitted well enough to blend in. That is the goal. So, today the parental duties lay in spots I hadn't had to visit before. Tooth health and social health - both seem equally important in our lives right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment