Sunday, May 30, 2010

2 and counting

I put him in a romper. Charlie had his 2nd birthday party today and I am squeezing out these last few romper moments. I have been known to say that fancy boy rompers are only ok up to 2 years old. How is it possible that my baby is growing past the romper age??? It sure doesn't seem like it was a whole 2 years ago that I was holding a huge newborn and saying, "I think this could be our last little one." It doesn't seem like 2 years ago that I was waking every 2 hours to feed a crying newborn. The older we get the faster time flies by, and the more we want it to slow down. I recall being a kid waiting for Christmas. It seemed sooooooo far away, no matter what time of year it was. Now, I swear as soon as summer hits, that I feel like Christmas is just around the corner. I recall as a child feeling like summer was a super long time. I would forget teachers' names over a summer, forget some math concepts, forget that feeling of having something on my shoulders all the time. Today as soon as the kids' summer begins, I know it will go quickly, barely allowing us to fit in all the fun activities in our heads. Taking time to stop and think about each day; what we did, what we said, and what we were blessed with, will help me to remember, recall, and rejoice in the moment. So, today I want to remember: -how my 2 yr old looked in his romper - precious, angelic, and also he had a huge marker mark on his thigh which was sort of funny sticking out from under the fancy romper. -how my 2 yr old looked when he changed into a swim diaper to play in the water. Like a little hoosier. -Charlie received a super cape from us for his birthday. He immediately began acting like a super hero, arms up, jumping etc. I believe I will put it on him every day from now on. -I found Charlie at the kitchen table, no one around, using a large cake knife and going at the Elmo cake. -Charlie blew out all his own candles and his cousin's too. -Ben and Charlie have become buddies. They hold hands when we go places, play together, and laugh together a lot. When Charlie walks into a room, or wakes in the morning, or first arrives home, one of his first questions is, "Where's Ben?" While typing this, the song Let Them Be Little, just came on my itunes. The refrain, "Let them Cry, Let them Giggle, Let them Sleep in the Middle, Oh, Let them be Little" is going to be in my head for a while...maybe this is a sign telling me I can let Charlie be little a bit longer...maybe wear a romper for a while longer... Well, romper or not, he's my baby, and I'm going to make sure I spend the summer forgetting how quickly his 3rd birthday will be here, and remembering every little detail of Charlie's toddlerhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment