Friday, May 7, 2010

The Laughter session

A special thanks to my 9 yr old son, Jack, tonight. Somehow, he knew the right thing to do. There are times I just don't know the right thing to say, but I'm trying hard to say the right thing, and I can tell by the look on my kid's face, or the response he gives me, that I'm not hitting home. I'm not "making it all better." That was me tonight in the car as my 11 yr old described the dynamic between he and some other boys at school. As he was mentioning bullying, name-calling, getting tripped at recess etc, I was trying to think of both what the Christian response should be and also what response he was looking for from me. I found myself mentioning things from "just walk away" to "knock him flat next time." I waivered in my own head and heart about how to respond. I mentioned "self-confidence" and "your true friends," but I also threw in some "they must be jealous." I was doing all right, but not feeling I had lightened the mood in the car. And certainly wasn't sure I had come through with the Christian response. Suddenly my 9 yr old (who incidentally antagonizes, teases, and attacks his older brother on a regular basis) begins a comedic monologue on "how to get rid of a bully." He uses a foreign accent. He uses goofy language. He uses a little lightweight bathroom humor. And he scores BIG TIME. He has his older brother, formerly in a funk, laughing so hard he can't catch his breath. He has his older brother begging for more funny ideas from his younger brother, more funny monologues to make him forget his troubles. As I listen to this connection between brothers, this gift of one brother's ability to help the other through a struggle, tears roll down my face from laughter, and from thankfulness for this much needed moment that I could not conjur up, but that my 9 yr old was able to pull out of a hat. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. God gives us these specific children for a reason. He gives them eachother for a reason. We must keep them close. To us. And to eachother. also I don't want to forget: -Charlie played peak-a-boo with my aunt and uncle continually for a good 15 minutes tonight. I forgot how at 2 they never tire of it, and they are as excited the 100th time as they are at the 1st "boo!" -Scotty is nearly looking me in the eye at 11 yrs old. I need to start wearing more heals. -Ben ran around at nanna's birthday party saying, "I'm a hugger" and hugging everyone in his path! -Elaina invited all the girls in our family (aunts and babies included) to our house for a girl's night sleepover tonight. Since I can't deny my one daughter her sweet request, some time we may have to actually do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment