Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Kindergarten Program

Today was the last real day of Kindergarten, complete with video slide show and a triad of adorable songs from the class for us parents to smile at and get teary-eyed over. All year we worry about these kids in Kindergarten. We hope they are having a good year. We hope they will like their teacher. We worry that they might be behind. We worry that they might be bored. We try to have play dates so that they have friends in their class. But when it comes down to it, as we witnessed in an adorable and very abundantly full of photos video, these kiddos are just fine. They have gotten to know each other and love each other. As a photo of each child came on the screen the class yelled in unison that child's name. As photos of their teachers came on the screen the kids all screamed their names too. And we parents sit there and grin and shrug at each other because we can't believe how quickly this year has gone by. Our little kindergartners are ready for grade school. I turned around during the video to find a couple good friends whose oldest child is in that Kindergarten class. They were openly bawling. It's touching for us moms, it's hard for us more seasoned parents too. But I think today I was slightly more composed than usual because I have been through this before. Because I know that next year these kids will do even more wonderful things that will enrapture us. Though Kindergarten is over, 1st grade will bring its own delights. And these kids will be ok. I can just barely recall my first son's Kindergarten program, but I know that crying was involved, by me, not him. That same son gave a little speech at a little Tree Keepers program just last year, and somehow it brought me to tears too. There is something about that first child. Perhaps it is just that we don't know what is to come, and so we are sad to see them move on into a place that might not be as comfortable, safe, happy, or familiar. It scares us parents to think that there is something unknown becoming a part of our child's life. But each year I learn the lesson over again. Children are amazingly resilient. Children will surprise you. Children are happy to be moving on. They will so quickly become accustomed to that 1st grade classroom, that first grade teacher, that big kid desk. Within a week of school, there will be an open house and they will be showing you around their new classroom as if they run the place, and we will wonder why we worried. also I don't want to forget: - Scotty explained to me tonight why time travel into the future is theoretically possible. I do not understand what he is talking about, but he makes it seem very believable. - Ben says, "Today is a great day! I get to go to my friend Willy's house, then I get to have breakfast with my friend, Luke, and then I get to go to my friend Sarah's house!" Later when I told him we were also going swimming at our friends' house, he was absolutely beside himself with joy. - Charlie made me chase him around the pool continually tonight. I know that he does this on purpose, knowing I have to chase him because he will drown if he falls in. He puts on this evil little grin, and just starts running from me. - Scotty (11) just came over to me, hugged me and told me goodnight. If he ever stops doing this I will die. I think this is why we cry when our first children come to the end of a phase. Please don't let this be a phase.

No comments:

Post a Comment