Thursday, May 6, 2010

Talking

"Mom, did you know I just defeated the multileveled, top rated game defense in three seperate offensive strategies?" "I don't know what you are talking about." "Well, there are many levels of the Super Smash Brothers video game defense and.................." Holy cow, my kids can say the weirdest stuff and they can talk about it non-stop, never tiring of hearing their own voices. "MOM. MOM! There is a little caterpillar, right over there by the tree!" "wow honey, that's nice." "Well, MOM! Can I take him inside, I want to take him inside, I want to take care of him, what should I feed him, what do caterpillars eat, I think it is grass, I gave him some, and he ate it....." They speak continually when we are in the car. They chat through an entire movie. Sometimes I finally stop them by saying, "honey, lets just WATCH the movie and we can talk about it all AFTER the movie." or my favorite line, "Babe, I want to listen to you, but right now I just can't seem to, so lets wait for a time when I can actually pay attention to you, k? "Ma. Ma. Ma. Ma. Ma." "oh...what dear?" "Ma. Ma. Ma. Ma. Ma. down." I think they like to hear their own voices and they hate uncomfortable silences. As we get older I think we begin to enjoy silent times. This does not mix with the child's point of view on conversation. They are fine with monologues. So, I nod my head about every 3 seconds. But lately to keep myself from shutting down the constant chatter, I have been telling myself this: "Some day they won't want to talk to me. It will be like pulling teeth to get them to tell me anything about their lives. Perhaps if I remain as "interested" as possible in their thoughts now, they will get used to telling me things. And one day I will have a teenager that will open up to his/her mom about something that will be as important to them then as the video game and caterpillar are to them now." also I don't want to forget: -Charlie has been taking off his shoes in the car ever since I got him some new velcro sneekers. I think he is doing it so that I will do the "little piggies" rhyme. He loves it. -After working with a learning consultant today for like 2.5 hours, Elaina came out to me in the waiting area and hugged me so tight, and she still has that great baby fat here and there, and so it was a very nice cheek to cheek squeeze. I'll miss it when she gets to be a bony teen. -At dinner tonight I heard Elaina whispering to daddy all the things I picked out at the store that I wanted for Mother's Day. She's Awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment