Thursday, May 27, 2010

Nap

Rookie mistake. I let the little boys stay awake through nap time because they were having so much fun swimming in the little kiddie pool I put on the back porch. So, of course at 3:30pm they both fell asleep. So, now at 10:30pm the 2 yr old is awake, and I'm guessing we see a very hungry Ben around 1am. The good news? I get to go upstairs and snuggle in my bed with Charlie and watch cartoons. I secretly (well not totally secretly, since my kids know this and use it against me a lot) LOVE cartoons. Something about cartoons brings me back to great lazy Saturday mornings with my siblings lying on shag carpeting in my pjs, zoned out. When Direct tv began offering the Boomerang network, I was ecstatic! All the old cartoons are on there. So, I get to go upstairs, watch old cartoons with my kid and no one has to know that I thoroughly enjoy it. I am going to have to chill out a little on the kids this summer. I've got this idea in my head and I keep mentioning it to my older sons in particular, "Do something constructive, please!" When I was a kid some of my favorite things to do, and most memorable to me were very non-constructive: running in circles around the chair in our basement singing Sesame Street songs, watching my beloved cartoons, burying things in the backyard and digging them up, Frogger, Pacman, playing with Barbies. Really, I think we have a number of things going on in their lives that can be deemed as "constructive." From music lessons to Art lessons to sport camps this summer, I think they will gain as much knowledge and skill as needed. What may even be more needed is some down time. With tomorrow being the last day of school for the year, I am vowing to have a low-stress summer, complete with nonconstructive moments galore! From playing tag to wading in the kiddie pool. From eating Popsicles on the back porch to watching a movie in the middle of the day! For soon enough, the schedules begin again, the assignments are assigned again, and I can just hear myself starting again with, "Do something constructive, please." also I don't want to forget: -Charlie went from the kiddie pool to the sand box, then had a Popsicle and then began playing in the mud. Good times : ) -Ben said, "This is the best day of my whole life!!!!" because we were headed to toys r us to get a little plastic swimming pool.

No comments:

Post a Comment