Monday, May 24, 2010

Japanese Erasers

Wow. Learned something important today. My 5th kid is 2 and I witnessed a vivid example of a strategy I will be using for the rest of my life with my kids. So, my kids all have these Japanese erasers that they have been half-heartily collecting. I think they are adorable little collectors items and also since they cost very little I like to use them as little rewards etc. So, a while back I got each of the kids a collectors' translucent compartmentalized box to keep them in. Still, the kids would randomly lose the erasers and I would find pieces of them here and there. I was sort of bummed that they hadn't caught on and really gotten into the collecting and trading idea of the erasers. Why did I care? Not totally sure, could have something to do with the fact that I love toys, and have always liked the idea of collecting anything little like that. As a child I collected those crazy-haired troll dolls. I recently gave away the whole collection to charity. My older sister collected thimbles and kept them in a great shelf in our room, and I would spend a lot of time staring at them. So, I guess I secretly wanted my own collection of Japanese erasers. They make everything! from food items to sport equipment themed ones. Animals, toys, toiletries. I just love them. When I saw the donut eraser that was it. I began my own collection. (Donuts are my favorite food). Suddenly, my children are totally into their collections. They love to trade me, and show me how cool their collections are. They take their collections along with them to grandma's house. They are taking them for show n tell, bragging about how many they have, and they aren't losing them anymore. And it is so fun! I let them trade me any ones they want (except I won't trade my donut and they know that). I have a new connection with all 5 of my kids! We ALL have something in common, we ALL love Japanese erasers! So, here is the lesson and herein lies my plan. I want Jack to read more - I need to start reading the books I want him to read. He will be thrilled to read them too and talk to me about them. I want Elaina to practice her handwriting more. I need to begin to journal next to her. She would be thrilled to "write in our journals together!" I can hear her squealing it now. This strategy will ring true for everything. It isn't enough to "send the boys outside to shoot hoops or play catch" or even to ask them to play with me. But if they see my husband and I playing catch, I guarantee they will be out there wanting to join in. Ever since I started my softball season this year, Elaina has mentioned that she would like to play softball. Summer goal: make a list of things I want the kids to be doing. Do them myself. Make sure they see me. Wait to reap the rewarding summer of the kids engaging in activities I want them to learn to enjoy! also I don't want to forget: -Charlie and Ben (2 and 4)and I made muffins together this morning. They did almost every single part of it themselves. They cracked eggs, added ingredients and did almost all of the stirring. Muffins turned out great. And they were sooooo proud. Sometimes I forget to let them do stuff like that, because I have the older kids to do it. -Elaina pushed her baby dolls downtown in a stroller tonight for a walk to get snow cones. She kept saying, "Mom, can I be a mommy too?" I'm so glad she sees being a mommy as a good thing! Although she did say, "These 2 kids have been driving me crazy all day and keeping me up all night." I suggested the walk may put them to sleep for a while so she could get some peace and quiet. -Charlie hugs my neck so tight when I put him to bed. He won't let me go and I feel terrible finally having to say goodnight and leave him in his room. He doesn't cry or anything, I just hate stopping the sweet hugging, but I think he would do it all night if I let him. I was actually wondering tonight if he would just keep hugging me till he fell asleep. -

No comments:

Post a Comment