Sunday, May 23, 2010

Cutting nails

I love cutting the kids' nails. Tonight was nail cutting night again. Everyone scrunches onto my bed watching cartoons, waiting their turn for mom to trim their nails. It is this little excuse to let the kids stay up a little later watching tv. Its a little excuse to have a tiny bit of one on one with each kid. And I find out funny stuff. Tonight I learned number 1 that Ben loves getting his nails cut. He says, "I love getting my nails cut mom, it doesn't even hurt." I also learn that the turtle is now his new favorite animal and that he likes soft ones that he could cuddle with better than rubber ones. I also learn that he loves waffles more than pancakes and really would like the family to have a waffle iron. From Elaina I learn that she has a lot of patience and also a high tolerance for pain. She waited her turn very patiently, and barely noticed when I cut too close and made her finger bleed. From Jack I learn that number 1 he needs to wash his hair again, even though it is still wet from his shower. It smells. Does he not use shampoo??? Also from Jack I learn that he has been wondering if he looks like a girl because so many people tell him he looks like me, and I make it worse by telling him that he has the same nail beds as me. Scotty is elusive this evening and doesn't show up for the nail cutting. I'm guessing it is because he is 11 and either is cutting his own nails or realizes he should be cutting his own nails at this point. I get to say prayers with all of them at once on nail cutting nights. So, I realize this evening which ones know their prayers and which ones need a little practice. Also I love nail cutting nights because I feel like I really accomplish something! I mean, yes, their nails will grow and I will need to do it again, but for at least 2 weeks, that job is DONE. Not many other tasks in my day are like this. The laundry is a continual circle of them wearing and me washing, folding, putting away. The dishes are also a vicious circle that never ends. But the nails, while they will grow back eventually, tonight and for a few more nights, I can feel really accomplished! On a side note, I am finding it difficult to blog without dozing! I think this is a bit of a tell-tale end of school year sign. The last week of school is busy and a bit exhausting. Really looking forward to sleeping a little later and making some of those waffles with the new waffle iron I feel so compelled to go purchase now!

No comments:

Post a Comment