Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Quarantine

The poor kid. I get the phone call before the first school bell has even rung. "Mom, you better come get me. I just threw up." I have somewhat inherited from my mother this, "I don't allow sickness" theory. My mom wouldn't let us stay home from school unless we were barfing on the way out the front door. I always thought this was terribly unfair, and rude. However, I now get it. I didn't get it when I had 1 kid. I didn't get it when I had 2 kids, and when I had 3 kids I was beginning to get it. But at 5 kids, I am totally on board. When Scotty was little and he was home sick from school, I would veg on the sofa with him reading him books and watching movies with him. I would make him toast and give him cool washcloths. I would use a cute little bed tray. So, this poor same kid must have been really thrown for a loop when I brought him home from school, quarantined him in his room, dashing all his hopes of crashing in front of his video games, and gave him the book Ben Hur to read. He teared up as I told him his ipod touch and DS weren't charged. Its different with 5. We can't spread the germ. We just can't spread the germ. And I don't want germy people walking around the house touching things and breathing on the healthy ones. I eventually sent him outside for some fresh air (and I needed him to watch the younger ones while I made dinner), but I wouldn't let him touch anyone. I wish I could have chilled out with him on the sofa and watched movies. I remember some of those days as the best moments. But with the rest of our lives not stopping for the illness, unfortunately, I couldn't stop either. By dinner he was eating the lasagna I had made. And one of the other kids was complaining of a belly ache, so...maybe tomorrow I will turn off the phone and the computer, and hang on the sofa with that kid, after all, it seems my quarantine idea may not have worked anyway. also I don't want to forget; -today I asked Scotty (11) if he and his friend had everything they needed on my computer to do the powerpoint presentation for school that they are working on. He answered, "more or less." He sounded so very grown up saying that. And for some reason it just struck me as a moment I didn't want to forget. -Elaina worked with some more teachers on some fine motor stuff today. When she was finished she asked to go to Mc Donalds. I said, "sure." (She had done a great job working with the teachers and I wanted to reward her.) She looked at me with a huge smile and asked, "mom, why are you taking me to Mc Donalds!?" I said because I think you deserve a treat." And she literally shrieked with joy. She has been doing that lately - asking me why I am doing things for her that she thinks are really nice. It is as if she can't believe that she is getting this awesome treat, she is just overwhelmed. Really quite cute. -After school today I asked Jack how school was. He said, "not that great since I didn't get to see Scotty at lunch and after school since he was home sick." -Charlie has begun to thank me when I do anything for him or give him anything. He says, "ashoo, mommy." And it means thank you. -Today I layered a lasagna while Ben and Charlie wrestled each other between my legs as I was standing at the kitchen counter.

No comments:

Post a Comment