Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Decisions

He was inching...no really he was more like sprinting towards the fountain. And when he (2yrs old) got there he didn't really think at all, just started climbing on it. Soaking himself head to toe. At one point he began to lean over and drink from the public, park, rock water fountain. (yuck). We were running a little late and he (4yrs) needed to decide what hotwheels cars to bring on our little walk. "I'll take this one for me because it is my favorite, and this one for Luke because he likes Spiderman, and 2 little ones for the babies." I told Elaina (6) that if she ate the extra cookie, then she would not be taking one in her lunch tomorrow. She eyed the cookie, considered, and began scarfing it down. Jack: "But mom, I really want that flamingo puppet!" Mom: "If you buy the big puppet, then you won't have any money left in your savings, and none left for charity either." Jack: "I guess I could just get the little baby puppet, then I will have some left over..." He (11 yrs) came out of school ecstatic about the Scholastic book order item: "a real webcam for only $20, that comes with editing software!" Mom: " Just think about the fact that it only costs $20. It may not be a very sturdy item." Scotty: "Well, I was just so excited, and I have a great idea of what I could do with it. I thought you would think it was a cool idea. I guess maybe it isn't." Mom: "No, no, it is a really neat idea, I just want you to think about your options of borrowing my video camera, and think about being careful with the one you purchase if you decide to do so, because it may not be all that sturdy." They are only 2, 4, 6, 9 and 11 and they make decisions all day long. (Well the 2 yr old sort of "jumped right in" no pun intended). And I wonder, when do I step in with the advice? When do I let them make their own decisions? When do I just try to steer their decision? I know that if I let them make a decision that I know will lead to some sort of failure or sadness, they could learn from it. I know this in my head. However, in my heart I just want so badly to steer them exactly down the path that will always lead to the "happy outcome," the cookie in the lunchbox, the sturdier webcam that comes from saving longer. And so sometimes I just downright fail at the "letting them make a bad decision." Kind of like when I told my daughter she wouldn't get the cookie in her lunchbox if she ate the extra one the night before...ya, I still gave her the one in her lunchbox. So, she learned NOTHING! Being a mom is hard! You just want them to have the cookie in their lunchbox. You want them to have the happy outcome no matter what, because you just love seeing your kids happy. But I know it isn't the right lesson. So, I am going to try my very hardest to let my 11 yr old get his cheap webcam, and when it breaks, I vow to not give him his money back. And I will be so sad for him. also don't want to forget: - (well actually I kind of do want to forget this one, but once again, I vowed to document the gross...) Charlie woke from his nap where he had been sleeping in only a diaper. I walk up the stairs to find him standing at the gate of his room covered in his own poo. Smiling ear to ear. - I took the kids to Taco Bell/Pizza Hut for a quick little Cinco De Mayo celebration (husband worked late), and every kid ordered PIZZA.

No comments:

Post a Comment