Thursday, May 20, 2010

Krazy Glue

Before lunch today Charlie (2) had: -Tried to pry off the electrical outlet covers in the dining room -Got Super Glue stuck to his tongue causing a call to Poison Control -Handed me my husbands shaving razor -Gotten into Elaina's jewelry box -started to unload dirty knives from the dishwasher -escaped into the rain through the dog door in the playroom And these all happened when he was within about 12 inches of me!!! He is so darn quick!!! Tonight I am thankful that Charlie made it through another day. That DFS is not after me (that I know of). And I am thankful for car seats because when you strap them in, there is little danger they can pose to themselves at least. For his 2 year birthday in a couple weeks, I'm getting him a padded room in our home. I am also thankful for the hour-plus long time just hanging in the car waiting for Elaina to have an appointment. Charlie and Ben watched a movie and goofed around and I returned emails, and just chilled out. Nice. Fyi: super glue is not as hazardous as one may think. Once it is in the mouth or touches anything moist or wet, it solidifies, therefore it is not much of a poisoning risk. It is more of a choking hazard, because if it solidifies to a tooth or the tongue and then eventually chips off, the child can choke on the glue chunk. Also, one should not try to chip it off the tooth, or tongue because it may leave sore tongue or gums. (Of course I had already frantically scraped it from his tongue before I called poison control). If you suspect your child has krazy glue stuck to a tooth or his tongue, you should feed him something buttery, a buttered piece of toast. I guess this helps the glue come unglued in their mouth. Some little incidents we've made it through: -Charlie was once stuck in a doll-sized shopping cart. -Jack's had his appendix out -Jack's had stitches/glue at least 4 times - Once I recall had something to do with jumping on a bed I think. -Scotty poked himself in the eye with a stick when he was about 7. -Scotty's had stitches and glue a couple times - can't really remember why. I glued the top of his head myself once because he really wanted to go to basketball camp and we were in a hurry. -Elaina has had glue under her eye for just tripping into a furniture corner. -Ben has had stitches for splitting his chin open running round the house and glue for closing the big Tahoe door on his head (within a month of each other) -Ben was hospitalized for pneumonia. (This one scared me). -Jack had throat surgery to have a cyst removed -Once all 3 of my kids (just had 3 at the time) had Floam stuck in their hair. -I heard yelling one day and went outside to find Ben's leg stuck up very high in our fence and he was just hanging there - he was trying to climb over. -I recall one of the kids being stuck under a sofa for a while -Jack dropped an enormous television on his foot. (His foot was actually fine!) - Elaina went head over heels down the basement stairs at about 13 months. -Charlie's recent superglue eating incident. -Ben and Elaina chowed on a whole box of tums one day (not actually all that dangerous, could cause some diarrhea.) -Jack ate a quarter at age 3. -Scotty ate a dime at age 9. -while at the doc for what I thought may be a bladder infection for Elaina, I was told to hold a cup so she could pee in it. As I was holding it there and watching for her to go, something foreign starting coming out of her bum! Looked sort of like a small green Christmas ornament. I wasn't brave enough to look further into it to discover its actually identity. We all just decided that she would "probably feel a lot better now." -On the way into Mc Donalds today Elaina got her pinky squashed BADLY in the hinge of the door. However she did not react or show me her pinky until we were up in line ready to order, and she only started crying when I asked her what happened. Her finger was NOT finger shaped! However by the time we began to eat, her finger was completely back to normal and working fine! Amazing how resilient kids are. I would've been in the ER if it had been my finger. After reading that list, I'm thinking we have some darn good guardian angels. I pray we can handle whatever befalls our family and that our family falls a lot less often! Also I don't want to forget: -Ben looked at me with tears in his eyes today while watching a movie and said, " Mom, Benji can't find his family." He is so sensitive to sad parts of kid movies and tv. He was watching a Mickey Mouse cartoon and began to bawl because Mickey made Pluto go outside in the rain. -I forgot to leave my husband the keys to the van tonight when I went for a run and so he and all the kids road their bikes about 2.5 miles round trip to get Scotty to basketball practice. I can't believe Elaina (6) made it - She is awesome! Pete pulled the other 2 little guys in the trailer. The big boys road their big bikes.

No comments:

Post a Comment