Tuesday, August 3, 2010

The first to know

I heard a story today I just have to share. A story about my own kid. I get those sometimes, stories about my own child. They crack me up. I'm talking to someone and the next thing I know they are telling me a story about my own kid. It is weird. I mean I always figure I will be the one telling the story, after all it is my kid, and I know everything about them. Well...apparently not. Here are some stories I have heard recently about my own kids. Scotty: My friend, whose daughter is my 11 yr old son's very best friend says to me that when she picked up my son, Scotty, from home to bring him to her house to swim, he was taking a long time in the house. Finally when he emerges, she asks what took so long and he tells her that he stepped in dog doo in our basement! Proceeded to try to clean it off into the toilet, and wiped the residual poo on the carpet! Keep in mind that I am hearing this story at 11:30pm, and this occurrence was in the afternoon. Scotty: Same friend was walking by her daughter's bedroom and looks in and sees my son kicked back on her daughter's bed reading the newspaper; her daughter working at the computer. We decide that at some point we will have to not let them spend time in each other's bedrooms, but it still seems pretty safe right now. Jack: Once I was told by my son Jack's principal, that my son, Jack, (9), made the principal dig into the cafeteria trash can because he swore that he dropped his ice pack in there and his mom would kill him if he didn't bring it home. This story was only topped by the fact that it was pancake and syrup day and the poor principal had kids throwing dirty trash on top of him as he was digging in the sticky trash! Jack: Carpool friend told me that Jack once said that he couldn't wait to get a cel phone so he could call all the hot chicks. Jack won't be leaving the house once he turns 16. Jack: School office personnel once told me that they were moved by my son, Jack taking his brother, Ben (4), to the bathroom at school. He has his arm around him. Jack: A Friend of mine doing playground duty told me that Jack led a large group of kids around the playground at recess singing "WHO LET THE DOGS OUT...WHO, WHO WHO WHO!" As parents we hope that we will be the first ones to find things out, and the first ones to know what our kids are up to. But here while my kids are already at a very young age I realize that I will NOT always be the first to know things about my own kids. I pray that I always have good enough friends and surround myself and my children surround themselves with such good people that it will matter to my kids what those people know about them. That way they will be responsible for their actions always.

No comments:

Post a Comment