Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Growing up

Elaina led her little cousin around the Magic House today like a little mommy. Scotty had his first day of middle school, and came to the car after school smiling. Jack babysat his sleeping little brother while I ran an errand. Ben is having a sleep-over with his cousin and buddy. Charlie said, "not baby, I Charlie" when I was cradling him like a baby tonight. They're doing it. They're growing up. With or without my guidance it is going to happen, so I better get my influence in while I can. I can see it happening with my 11 year old. He's beginning to exert his will a little more forcefully. He is having stronger opinions that aren't always my opinions. I say I want them to "become their own person" but I can't help but want them to be people who feel and think the same way as their parents do about everything. I can't help but want to make sure they grow straight and tall with few detours along the way. And my mind works like this: I have opinions similar to my parents, but maybe not as strong on certain things. So my kids will likely have similar opinions to their dad and I but maybe not exactly the same or not as strong on certain things. And if this continues...I may end up with some grandchildren who just run WILLY NILLY! So, I think this is why parents, mine in particular, and myself pretty often with my own kids, react rather strongly and one-sided and strong-minded toward our children at times. If we assume that they are going to be shaving down the edges on our opinions and beliefs, then we need to put some very sharp ones out there for them to work on. And this is why kids say things like this to their parents, "You don't understand! You are so closed-minded!" in response to us parents making statements that don't seem very lenient. We're just trying to grow them straight and tall. Also I don't want to forget: -The look on Scotty's face on the way to the car after school today, his first day of 6th grade: he was trying not to smile hugely, but had a cute little grin, and was ready to answer, "Pretty good!" after being asked, "How was your first day?" -Jack laughing as I was reading to him tonight. He won 20 minutes of mom reading to him in a cleaning contest. So, I took over where he left off on "Tales of the Fourth Grade Nothing." I recall reading this as a child, so it is fun to read it together. -Jack's comments on how cute Charlie is: "He is the cutest baby ever. He has those cute little buck teeth. And when he smiles it is like heaven for my eyes." I never want to forget those words...I may have to paint them on a wall or something. -The excitement in Ben's voice as he went running off to find his cousin to invite him to spend the night. And then how adorably excited they both were as I blew up the air mattress for them to sleep on. I look forward to making them breakfast in the morning. -Elaina' screech of joy and jumping up and down as I told her she could stay the night at her little cousin's house. I love how excited she gets about little things still. Her big black eyes all sparkling with happiness as she bounces up and down while grinning ear to ear and staring at me. Sometimes I think she personifies "pure joy" perfectly. -I was cleaning Charlie's feet with a wet wipe today and apparently it tickled him and he just kept laughing while I wiped them. I'm thankful for his dirty little feet, because it enabled me to hear him laugh a good hearty laugh today right in the midst of hurrying to get us all ready to leave the house. -The other day Scotty won "mom makes your bed" in a cleaning contest. So he cashed it in. When I got up to his room to cash it in, his bed was not only unmade, but it was a disaster, sheets coming off, pillowcase off, covers on the floor. I said, "Sheesh! What happened to your bed, you sure make a mess when you sleep!" That is when I see the little smirk on Scotty's face. He can't control himself, can hold it in no longer, and ends up telling on himself for making it more messy right before I got up to his room to make the bed for him. Jack chimed in that taking the sheets off was his idea. I looked aghast, and so Scotty, because he is so darn sweet, says while laughing at himself, "I know, that's not fair, I'll put it back to normal." and fixes it up a little but just keeps giggling. Sometimes, those 2 crack me up.

No comments:

Post a Comment