Monday, August 23, 2010

School

1st day of school for the gradeschoolers - 1st and 4th. 4th day for my 6th grader. Coffee with the moms after drop-off. Last minute (after the minute) school supply shopping. Clean out car. Pick up kids from half-day and take them out to lunch with friends. Home for an unsuccessful attempt to get Charlie down for a nap. Scotty arrives home from middle school. And this is where I need to just keep thinking "that which does not kill us makes us stronger." Not because of what I go through in my day. My day is easy. My day is just moving around, cleaning, shopping, changing diapers, trying to put kids down for naps... But my 6th grader's job? Trying to run the track at school and end before he gets locked out of the school and has to run around the school to get in, run late for class and have to wear his gym clothes to his next class. Trying to find someone to sit with at recess without getting told, "get outa' here, we don't want you to sit here." by some rude and insecure 6th grader. Trying to keep 7 classes organized. That which does not kill him makes him stronger. And here is what he says when I ask how his day was, "Good! We learned a lot of new words in German today! Did you know that a lot of German words sound really similar to our words? I like it a lot." And it is only when we get into conversations about character, and making new friends that some of the other information is discovered about his day. The amazing thing is that he is very tolerant, very smart about why kids act the way they do, and fortunately, very good at making new friends. I hope he continues to be positive and be excited about the great parts of middle school. And I'll just keep praying for the other part.

No comments:

Post a Comment