Thursday, August 5, 2010

One on One

I would never wake up in the morning these days, these busy days and think, "Today I am going to lie on the sofa all day with my 2 yr old. We're going to watch cartoons all day, do nothing, snuggle, nap, and waste away most of the day just hanging out right here in this spot." But, when your 2 yr old barfs in the morning, it is a free pass to do just that! So yesterday I got to do something that I rarely get to do, nap, relax and love on my 2 yr old for most of the day. I should take more time to do this when he is not sick, but the busy schedules of the other kids and the household stuff to keep up with keep this practice as a "with sick child only" event. After about 4 hours on the sofa with him, he awoke a changed little boy, full of energy and ready for food and playing. Perhaps Charlie was faking to get in a little extra time with mom - well the barf wasn't fake, so I guess not. But I wouldn't blame him if he had been faking. One on one time with the mom or dad in this household can't go on as often as it does in other households. The kids don't even expect it. It is more of a surprise event. Which is good, because 1.I wouldn't be able to handle all the begging for "alone time with mom" and 2.I think it is good for the kids to depend on each other instead of needing the attention from mom and dad all the time. When I was little there were 8 of us and one on one with the parents was few and far between. But I never felt I was missing out on something - I had my siblings to hang with. And to this day, we all are quite close. This being said: I love getting special time with each of my kids because I find out a lot about them in these moments. And this being said, I recall a birthday where my dad took me to a store, just he and I, to get me some clothing for my birthday. I think I was about 11. It is one of my fondest memories. So, whether or not the kids beg for it, if it remains a special occurrence I think they will remember it.

No comments:

Post a Comment