Sunday, October 24, 2010

Celebrate good times!

"Is the birthday boy still asleep?" said Elaina, in a sweet little mom voice when she walked into the kitchen Saturday morning for breakfast. Was she inquiring about Ben? or little brother Charlie? or even one of her big brothers, Scotty or Jack? No, she was very genuinely inquiring about her FATHER'S whereabouts. Her father, the birthday boy. The kids were so excited to celebrate their dad's birthday. I made eggs and sausage etc. and the kids thought this was just a great way to start the day, having breakfast together, but "then what?" "then what will we do?" They looked for things to do amidst our sort of busy day all day long. The birthday boy was being all coy saying stuff about it not being a big deal that it was his birthday, and how we didn't need to do anything special that day and I said to my husband, "I love to celebrate!" and as our 11 year old, Scotty, walked into the room he enthusiastically says, "Me too!" And he does. They all do. They think up reasons to have little impromptu "parties" where we use wine glasses, light candles, "decorate." And I would laugh about this, or think it was goofy except, I am just like them...or I guess they are just like me rather. It is just fun. It is great fun to think of silly reasons to celebrate, and I love that the kids have caught onto the enthusiasm and run with it, because it keeps me excited to do all this fun stuff with them like "make the perfect fall day," which is what I told my husband I wanted to do one day this week. He chuckles at me, but it is something he totally would expect me to say, so he is not at all surprised. Great thing is, my kids will be totally on board. Very very little eye-rolling will be seen even from the 11 yr old - especially not from him actually. After all, he "loves to celebrate" and so do I, especially when there are so many so eager to celebrate with me : )

No comments:

Post a Comment