Friday, October 22, 2010

He's still just a little guy

Ben is 5. He just turned 5. He has a younger brother. If he did not have a younger brother, perhaps I would still be picking him up to hold him, bouncing him on my knee etc. But he does have a younger brother, so that makes him the Big Brother and very mature. Sometimes this is such a wonderful thing. Like when his teachers say he is so smart, or so kind, or so helpful with the other kids in his class. But there are times that I am lamenting his growing up so quickly all because he isn't the youngest anymore. So today I was thrilled when these 4 things happened: 1. Ben LOVED the idea of making a Haunted Gingerbread House with me today. He was adorable as he found just the right places to put his house candy decorations, and was thrilled to show everyone when they they came home from school. He stood up on a chair to reach, he hugged me, he told me I was great. He was my little guy again. 2. I showed Ben an outfit I bought him today (cords and a sweater with a Bear on the front). I worried he would scoff at the bear. He LOVED it! I pulled it out of the bag and he said, "Awwwwwww." As in Awwwww so cute, not Awwww yuck. Little boys like Teddy Bears. He is still my little guy. 3. Ben fell asleep for a nap on the sofa today. Little boys still need their naps. And so if he napped, he is still my little boy. 4. Ben stood in the foyer making goofy zerbert noises while I talked to the guy that measured our basement for new flooring today. He spun, he zerberted, he danced a little, and skipped around a bit too. LITTLE ones do that, not big boys. So, he is still my little boy. Thank God for my sweet little 5 yr old boy. Just a tad over five years ago, when I was 30 for goodness sakes, not all that long ago at all, he was still inside of me. So he really can't be all that big at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment