Wednesday, October 13, 2010

A Stolen Day

Me: Wow, I really can't wait to use these 3 hours while Charlie is at Little Sprouts with the grandparents to get some work done. I have so many photos to work on, and the house is a disaster. Thank God I have all morning. Diane: Julie, I think it is your day to go help on the Little Sprouts outing. Me: Nooooooooooooo......................................... So, this morning did not end up being what I planned it to be. Not even close. But how could one complain about getting to spend an absolutely gorgeous day outside with her little son, who may be the cutest, sweetest 2 yr old in the whole wide world! All it took was one "I luz you too, mommy!" to put me in the right mood for a non-productive, but quite wonderful morning. There is nothing better than using binoculars made from toilet paper rolls to search the grounds of the botanical gardens for birds, butterflies, and to my Charlie's disappointment, the ever elusive owl. "But Charlie, the owls are sleeping, honey, I don't thinks we will see any owls." "Please, Mommy, I wake up all the owls, OK?" Seriously, I wish I knew where they were. I would have found them, captured them and let my loud little guy wake them up! For goodness sakes, I hate disappointing him. But it takes so little to distract and intrigue him. For instance, he spent quite a bit of time floating the "hats" of acorns in the fountain. Every time he found one, he just had to put it in the water and watch it float away. And honestly if I had had all day long, I would have sat there and watched him do it all day long. Because it was adorable. Also, he could get very excited about seeing various sticks on the ground. "Look, stick!" And then he would carry it for a while, making it touch different plants and using it to dig up a little mud here and there. What fun : ) So, while I did not get my work finished, or really even started yet today, I did get to spend an unforgettable day with my 2 yr old, who will not be 2 forever. And my work will be around forever, and will always be waiting for me. But my 2 yr old, well, I know he won't always be waiting for me, or dragging me through a muddy garden, or shamelessly yelling, "I luz you too, Mommy!" So, thank you God for my stolen day with Charlie, my little drop of sunshine amidst a busy crazy day.

1 comment:

  1. The housework will always be there but your son will not be 2 forever. Enjoy every moment....they grow too fast. Believe me...it flies...my 2 boys are 19 and 16 and I do not know where the time went!!

    ReplyDelete