Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The Crick

I never have called a little body of slowly flowing water over rocks and sticks, a crick before, but this was definitely a crick. It was warm. It was amidst huge shady trees that turned into woods. It was shimmering in the sun that creeped through the trees. It was full of little creatures. It was little boy heaven. We made a busy day even busier by deciding to join some new friends for a little trip to the crick. After playing mommy and me soccer with Charlie and watching Ben play soccer too, we took our picnic lunch to the spot I will forever more refer to as a little piece of little boy heaven. Charlie fell asleep on the way there and so he slept right through the other 5 boys all splashing into the creek, seeing who could go the deepest, throwing rocks into the water, finding "hidden trails" in the woods, laughing, giggling, picnicking, and just generally having an absolute ball. How do we forget that this is the type of fun that is their favorite? Why had I not found a spot like this before now? Not only is it just the most fun for the boys, but it is the absolute most fun for me! I get to kick back, smile, take pictures and just enjoy my boys being boys, so carefree, so unstressed, so relaxed. I love watching my kids play sports and take music lessons etc, but watching my kids just have fun for the sake of having fun, no lessons intended, is a whole other kind of joy for a parent. And we can;t forget to include these joys into our daily lives. And if we feel that we need to include a lesson in every outing, how about this: The day picnicking at the crick taught us: -to relax once in a while -to share with our friends -to laugh at each others' silliness -It taught us about aquatic life -and trees -and leaves -and nature -and it taught us how to have fun : )

No comments:

Post a Comment