Sunday, October 3, 2010

Full house Friday

We had a day off school, and while my dream no-school day has more to do with one of my pre-planned family outings than it does with a house full of extra kiddos, sometimes I just don't even try to get my way. So, I went all-in and let 3 of my kids invite over a few friends. You would think chaos would ensue with the mixture of kids filtering in and out, you would think it would be loud and crazy. You would think the house would sound like a heard of elephants lived in it. You would think that with 9 kids, a dog and a beautiful sunny day, energy would be super high. You would be right on. And what a fun day for the kids, and as it turns out for me too! The nervousness of one of the younger kiddos enabled me to have my own "play date" too, as the mom had to stay to keep her daughter comfortable. I guess having a mom you like, stay for a play date while you make lunch for the kids, supervise activities, fulfill kid needs all day, wash dishes and run laundry, is like having a job you love where you also really love your co-workers. I mean, its not really the same as just hanging out with your friend one-on-one having a coffee in a coffee shop, but it is still pretty nice to get to do my job with friends by my side pretty often. How lucky for me that often while I work, I also get to play. And differently than the way it is for business persons to play golf during the work day or go to a baseball game during the workday, I don't have to put on a show or feel like I am "on" the whole time. As a matter of fact if I did feel and act that way, it would probably make my "co-worker" feel very uncomfortable. So, I am very thankful for having my busy and crazy job, where I get to be myself and feel super comfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment