Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Little Hands

Headache. Ever have a really bad headache and ask your kid to rub your forehead? I'm lying on the sofa and I'm in huge headache pain, neglecting my kids, shirking my household chores, waiting for the 2 tylenol and 3 ibuprofin to finally kick in already, when I say to my 5 year old, "mommy has a head ache, can you rub my forehead?" His soft little hands begin to rub my forehead in a little back and forth motion. If anyone else had been rubbing my head in the same way, I swear it would have done nothing at all for me. But little soft warm 5 year old hands felt so sweet, so special, so tender that it really did ease my pain for a bit. Human touch is said to be super powerful. We have all heard about babies that are not held or touched in orphanages having problems even after being adopted to loving families after their baby stages, because of the lack of touch in their lives. My kids always love to be massaged or snuggled when they are not feeling great, or have an illness of some sort. When our children come to us with sadness over hurt feelings or some sort of emotional distress, the first thing we do is to hug them, rub their backs, squeeze them tight. But I have not as often thought about all that their touch does for us, the parents. They are like magical little beings of life. Their sweet little fingers projecting nothing but love and affection as they rub our foreheads, pat our backs, or play with our hair are probably adding hours to our lives. Or better yet, adding a sense of liveliness, youth and worthwhileness to us daily. Thank you God, for the little hands in my life. There are 10 hands in this house smaller than mine, but their power is infinite. Also I don't want to forget: Elaina said: "Mom, Peyton at school said this, and you know how numbers just keep going and there is not a biggest one, it just goes on and on?" I said: "Yes, that's right!" Elaina said: "Well, is the alphabet like that too?"

No comments:

Post a Comment