Thursday, October 14, 2010

Errands with Ben

Ben decided to count his money in his piggy bank this morning. $17. Not bad for a 5 yr old who does not get an allowance, and basically makes his cash by finding change on the ground and scrounging pennies from his siblings and mother. So, I promised him that if he helped me with some chores around the house, he could go on my errands with me and use his money for something he wanted. He also was to use some of his money for his friend's birthday gift. You might think he would be looking for something small for his friend, but no, he got he and his friend the same thing, lego sets. And he was ecstatic! And so proud to dump his very own $17 in change onto the counter at Borders. "Back-up to the front." called the checkout gal. I told her it was $17, but she apparently didn't believe me. I did not care. You cannot embarrass me or my 5 yr old, beaming as he spent his very own money. I've been in way more awkward situations than making a checkout gal count out $17 in change. And most of those instances were spurred on by a 5 yr old, or 3 yr old or 1 yr old too. And all have been worth it once I see the joy they have brought to a crazy little kid's face. So, go ahead and call your "back-up" and go ahead and roll your pretty little eyes folks, cause I've got 5 things way more important than worrying about you.

No comments:

Post a Comment