Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Getting some sleep

So, after a very busy weekend in Chicago with Elaina, I wake up monday morning with one hour left to drive to get home only to realize that I am chaperoning her field trip that morning to the pumpkin farm. So, I get her home by 7:55 to meet her dad in the driveway where she switches cars and is off to school in the same clothing she wore all day on Sunday. I, also in my same clothing, begin to rush around cleaning out my car in case I end up driving a group of moms to the pumpkin farm. I blogged before about what cleaning out my car is like...add to that a 10hr round trip road trip, and the job only becomes bigger. So, by the time I finish cleaning it out, I have to head to school to gather for the fieldtrip - in my same clothing that I wore the day before. Fortunately, I was in Chicago the day before and no one knows this. After the field trip I call my sitter, my mom, and ask her if I could stop by the grocery store to get cake mix to make a cake for my Father-in-Law's and husband's birthday celebration that evening. So, I go into the grocery store, get distracted by the deli and produce and end up forgetting the cake mix. I don't realize this until my mom is gone and I have 1 hour to bake a cake before I have to pick up kids from school. So, after calling all my neighbors for cake mix, I end up doing a lemon pound cake from scratch, popping it in the oven in time to leave and grab kids from school, drop some of them at the library, take the rest home, so I can run in the house, get the cake out of the oven, grab my computer so I can work in the car while elaina is at tutoring, which is where we head to next. I drop Elaina at tutoring, begin to get my computer out of its bag, and fall asleep promptly in the front seat of my car in front of the school. If anyone had peeped into my van they would have seen a sleeping 5 year old, a sleeping 2 year old and their mother also snoozing away. Is this a sign of being a bit busy? I wake up about 2 minutes before Elaina comes out to the car, and we head home meeting my husband in the driveway for just long enough for me to run into the house, ice the cake, grab the birthday presents, holler for my other 2 boys who walked home from the library to get into the car, and we are then off to the birthday party. After the birthday party. When we arrived home, I smartly offered up to be the one to snuggle with Charlie "till he falls asleep" and I then fell asleep myself for the night. Here's to hoping that today goes just a bit more s...l...o...w...l...y. However, as I was typing that, I heard my 2 year old waking up for the day. I guess the kids just don't value their sleep like parents do!

No comments:

Post a Comment