Saturday, June 5, 2010

Arranged Marriages

Can I just say I totally agree with them? It really is a good idea. I mean as long as you have decent parents, then they want what is best for you. They aren't swayed into making hormonal decisions. They have been through marriage already and know what is necessary to make a relationship work, and what does not work. Parents have already been through break-ups and hard times. If our kids would let their parents pick their spouse for them, I believe they would be pleasantly surprised. I would pick a lovely person for each of them, and as an added bonus for me of course, I would love my daughter and son in laws. My grandparents' marriage was lightly arranged, along with my grandmother's sister and her husband's. Sisters married brothers. Both marriages were absolute icons of what a beautiful Christian marriage should be, complete with romance, love, loyalty, trust, children and a very strong love for God. Maybe they were just lucky, but maybe the girls' dad knew what was good for them and acted on it. Incidentally, my sister and I married brothers also. Not arranged. At least not arranged by our earthly parents, but I do truly believe these marriages were arranged by our Heavenly parents. So, what does this have to do with my day with the kids today? I witnessed my 11 yr old having a wonderful time with his friend of 5 years, a girl. They posed for pictures together, rode rides at the carnival together, smiled ear to ear together all evening. None of this fun was related to anything even remotely romantic. They are just best friends. They treat each other with love and I really believe this kind of friendship is rare. So, can I just arrange the marriage now? There will be no worry of him finding a person who will treat him with the respect he deserves. There will be no worry of him finding a person who he can laugh with and who brings out the best in him. I don't know how my parents have done it. Watch each of us go through boyfriends and girlfriends and now spouses. Tonight what is on my heart and mind is the idea that very likely someday 5 more people will be a part of our family. And I love our family the way it is, but realize that through marriage this family can be even better. I just want my kids to choose those people who make them even better than they are and therefore our family even better than it is. also I don't want to forget: -Bubbles began pouring out of the fun house as soon as Scotty ran into his friend, and they began jumping and hitting them and laughing, and after all the lawn mowing, reading, helping with younger siblings and high-level math testing he has been doing lately, it was wonderful to see him being a kid. -Charlie wore most of what he ate tonight at the carnival: root beer, snow cone, funnel cake, corn dog. -Jack sweetly shared his carnival winnings with his siblings to keep the peace - thank you! -Elaina was so excited riding rides with all her little girlfriends tonight! I am so thankful that she ran into them and was able to hang with the girls for a while : )

No comments:

Post a Comment