Friday, June 11, 2010

The Catcher

His concentration and focus have never been great. His teachers have mentioned that he "gets distracted, distracts others." He can't seem to look me in the eye for longer than a couple seconds when working on a school project together. He can be that "antagonistic" little stinker that disturbs the household. He can make a bowl of cereal and leave the spilled cereal all over the counter, the box on its side half off the counter, the milk sitting out, and the refrigerator door standing open. I can ask him 4 times to take his shoes out of the hallway and the shoes will remain there. However, put him behind the plate and be amazed. The concentration is immediate. There is no asking him to pay attention. His focus is keyed in on that baseball coming at him. His squat is natural, his glove is unyielding, nothing gets by him. His attention warrants the pitcher's attention and helps the pitcher stay focused. His accuracy wielding the ball back to the pitcher helps hold the pitcher together and keeps him calm. Keeps him in the moment. Coming off the field he knows just what to do. No one asks him to take off his equipment and set it in its spot. He deftly removes his gear with practiced hands. His helmet comes off first to reveal his sweaty head and smiling face. As he removes the chest plate and shin guards he is telling the batters good luck. He says "I am like Iron Man in my gear." He is in his element. As the next inning begins he crouches to gear up with enthusiasm and no anxiety noticeable. Grabs his glove, and with authority smacks his mitt, willing the pitcher to bury a few more right at his own 9-yr-old chest. Finding what they love, what they can sink their heart into can make all the difference in their days. As terribly long as these 3rd grade baseball games can be, I won't tire of watching my son in his comfort zone. And I need to bring him to this zone more often, perhaps in the backyard, or perhaps at times even just in conversation about "the game," so I will get to see that sought after focus, attention and concentration we have been looking for. also I don't want to forget: -today I had 5 boys running a muck throughout the house, ready and waiting to go swimming. I myself had just ran upstairs and changed my sweaty self into a swimsuit. Frazzled I run downstairs and announce it is time to leave for the pool. About that time I realize my daughter has barfed. She starts crying, I'm trying to decide what to do because we have an extra friend over to go to the pool with us, and another friend we are supposed to be picking up on the way. As I am considering the situation and dealing with crying Elaina, and myself beginning to lose it, I spin around only to accidentally knock my 2 year old into a counter and cause a crying fit. I regroup. I send all the boys into one room to watch tv and to keep the crying baby happy. I wash my daughter up a little and take her upstairs for a shower. After the shower she says she is fine and so a new swimsuit goes on her and we head out the door. I pray the whole way there that she isn't actually sick and ends up barfing in the pool or something. Fortunately my prayers were answered. All was ok. Thank you God for sending me Hilda, the wonderful woman who helps me clean every couple weeks and brings with her a breath of fresh air and a big dose of reason. She reminded me to relax, chill out and regroup. And being a grandmother of many herself, she reminded me that every barfing incident isn't a calamity.

No comments:

Post a Comment