Sunday, June 13, 2010

Jack and Me

Mom: "Jack, could you mow the back lawn?" Jack: "What? Can't scotty do it?!" Mom: "No, he did the front, you can do the back, you get $5." Jack: "It's soooo hot!" Mom: "Jack, can you empty these baskets for me?" Jack: "I did it last time! It isn't fair. His job is easier than mine!" Holy moly we are alike. I've known it, my mother has said it a zillion times, it is obvious. But today when childhood stories started flying around the room and my sister's stories kept painting me as such a stubborn little snot - well, I just had to have some compassion for my Jack (9). He often fights back, shirks chores, whines about doing many things I ask him to do, complains about life not being fair. And in these moments I very often lose my temper and end up either yelling or punishing. I'm not saying it isn't warranted, but perhaps I could at least relax inside myself a bit. I mean I turned out to be a pretty nice person, successful in what I want to do, married to a really neat guy. And most importantly, I'm pretty sure that my mom at least likes me NOW. But I really wouldn't blame her at all if she wasn't so fond of me growing up. So, the plan...try to remember what I was feeling at my most frustrated moments as a kid, and try to figure out what would have worked on me, and use it on Jack. I need to think of this as a blessing that he is just like me - I should be able to figure him out! Something else to remember: There are many times he does show a great deal of responsibility - bathing his brother, reading him stories, putting him to bed. Making a meal for the family. Practicing his piano and guitar. Not all 9 yr olds have these responsibilities, and he is pretty good about them. I should try to remember that in the heat of battle : ) also I don't want to forget: -Charlie said Grandma for the first time tonight - "Gammy!" -Ben just said, "I'm not tired" and almost in the same breath, fell asleep. -Scotty and Jack are at grandparents for the week - miss those boys already! Who's going to make breakfast? -When Elaina realized she had to borrow a pair of her cousin's undies after swimming, she was so thrilled she squealed. She really adore's her big-girl cousin.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck figuring out what worked with you and using it! It's when my children are most like me (usually at their least appealing) that I have no idea how to handle them. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete