Thursday, June 24, 2010

Well-behaved Children

We're at Mac Donalds with my grandfather. Kids are being pretty good, and a nice man sees me trying to bring seven drinks to the table. I actually am pretty dexterous at this so, I manage on my own, but he goes on to tell me how "well behaved" my kids are and "oh, I had young kids once, and when I see well-behaved children, I try to tell the parents and let them know how great their kids are." I told him thanks and also that he shouldn't have jinxed it because "they all have their moments." But I am feeling all proud as I look over and see all my kids smiling and eating and waiting patiently for their drinks. But I was just counting my chickens a bit too early because right after that I see my 11 yr old wack my 9 yr old on the back pretty hard and the 9 yr old yell and tell on the 11 yr old. So now I am over between them squeezing each of their shoulders a little too tightly and talking between clenched teeth, "You two are embarrassing me. I just got complimented on how good you all were being and now my oldest kids are acting like animals. You better settle down right this second or so help me I will find something to do that you will NOT like at all!" And in the next second, my 6, 4 and 2 yr olds are all standing on the seat and playing with their Mc Donald's toys and making them climb all over and being nice and loud. I knew that guy had jinxed it. Truly though, I think the lesson here is more for me. When my kids are grown and when I see a mom with kids wacking each other and climbing all over the place, perhaps I will be able to give her a reassuring smile, because all kids have their moments, even the "well-behaved" ones. also I don't want to forget: -Today when Elaina heard me talking on the phone about my grandfather who recently began thinking about moving to an apartment, she looks at me, and says, "MOM, he can live with us!" So sweet. This is why I love kids, they don't think of all the reasons things wouldn't work out, they just think of the fun and the positives. And we adults are always crushing their "great ideas." I'm going to try to make as many of their "ideas" work out as I can this summer. Hence my big boys creating a Wax Museum movie the other day...I was skeptical at first...but why? I don't believe any real wax was involved. The first thought on ideas in general should really always be "yes you can!"

No comments:

Post a Comment