Saturday, June 26, 2010

The Diving Board

I really wanted to go off the diving board, but I didn't want to go by myself, because I would feel like a dork. Not many 35 yr old women go off the diving board at our pool in general, but definitely not by themselves just for the heck of it, and if they did, I'm sure it would be because they were a super diving instructor or something and would be able to do amazing dives. I am not that person. I can do a dive. That is all. But I really wanted to do it. So how happy was I when Elaina (6) said, "mom, wanna go off the board?" I have to say yes at this moment. I can not say no, because then I would be a boring mom. And saying yes and being a 35 yr old mom going off the board wouldn't be very dorky because I would be doing it with my daughter to help her have more fun, and people will realize that. So, YES! I will go off the board. Elaina and I proceed to go off a couple more times and the best part is that Elaina thinks I am awesome and cheers for me, even though all I can do is a dive. She can do 2 things: a jump, and a running jump. Very impressive and quite adorable since as she jumps she curls up her legs and her eyes are wide and she lands on her knees and a little on her belly and then she looks so adorable kicking as hard as she can with her head in the water, not using her arms all the way to the ladder. Very fun family night at the pool. Kids actually ate all their picnic dinner - love that swimming makes them so hungry. Scotty (11) was awesome trying over and over again to do a flip off the board. What determination! Ben began floating on his back with most of his head in the water - this is huge since he had been very water skittish about a month ago. My husband and I actually got to sit in lounge chairs in the 0 depth area having a drink and watching the kids all play together...love that! And as we pulled in the driveway, my big boys decided they would like to play a little basketball one on one in the driveway without me even having to ask them to play...Oh, perhaps this is the beginning of their love for sports! Good summer night...will try to repeat.

2 comments:

  1. I love to be "Fun Kate" with my kids. It's so easy sometimes to be grown up and boring, and it's soooo much more fun when you just let yourself go with the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Summer is the best season of all and it tends to make us all feel a little more carefree and relaxed. Enjoy all aspects of it.

    ReplyDelete