Sunday, June 20, 2010

Father's Day

This morning we had a pancake breakfast together and my husband thanked the kids profusely for cleaning out the garage for him for Father's Day. He also gushed over the card Scotty made for him on the computer. Then he proceeded to do massive work on the yard, the deck boxes full of yard toys, and the porch etc... to prepare for our annual Father's Day bocce tournament. He gave the kids jobs helping him to clean out and fill the sandbox, washing toys and more. Amidst all that we went to church, where at one point I saw 3 of our 5 children all somehow touching their dad, sitting on him, leaning on him, grabbing him. Before the Bocce party he took time out to teach our 4 and 6 yr olds how to ride their bikes without training wheels in the 100 degree weather because they begged him to. (they actually did quite well, picking up on it quickly because of those fabulous glider bikes they have been using for the past 9 months or so) During the Bocce party he was paired with Jack (9) and they came in 3rd place, thrilling Jack to no end. After the party he majorly helped clean up the mess. I laid with Charlie in his bed tonight at 9:45, knowing he was super tired, and just waited for him to fall asleep. When he did he was snoring ever so slightly and breathing sweet breaths on my face. In the dim light I could see my husband's face as I looked at him. I put my hand on his head and prayed over him that he feels the love fully that his father feels for him. I prayed that some day he will get to be a great father too. And I will do the same thing for each of my boys tonight before I go to bed. Because I am so thankful that my kids have a great father to look up to, to learn from and to take after. also I don't want to forget: -Charlie playing in the plastic pools with his fellow 2-yr-old girl cousins, all in only swim diapers. Don't tell my husband - he HATES that! Insists the kids wear a swimsuit even in the privacy of our own back porch. Which cracks me up because we are soooo far from proper....I mean, we have 3 plastic pools on our back porch. -Scotty and I were bocce partners. I played pretty badly. Scotty played better. He was a turd about it! He has some competitive bones in that body....I think I may like it.

1 comment:

  1. Ummm, wonder where Scotty got those competitive bones. He has no choice...it's coming to him from both sides of the family!

    ReplyDelete