Thursday, June 17, 2010

Being Thankful

Some of the girls were crying while their moms were putting on their make-up. I heard a mom get very upset with her daughter for putting sparkly gold lipstick over her red stage lipstick. She threatened her with a "strike one!" Elaina was a dream. She thinks of the whole experience - ballet dress parade, dance rehearsal, recital - all as a big week-long game of dress-up. I know I am lucky in this. Some little girls seem to let it go to their heads, and begin fretting about the attention they're getting or not getting etc. But through it all, Elaina just had fun and kept thanking me and asking me why I was doing things for her, like she was surprised by all the attention. Maybe she has this "thankful personality" down pat, or maybe she is just really good at making me THINK she does, but I hope it sticks. I want to make my kids thankful for the THINGS they have also. I struggle with this a bit. We have 5 kids, four of them are rambunctious, clumsy boys. They break things left and right. Some of the things are items we really need or really want to replace right away. But if we always are replacing everything, how do they become thankful for what they have...thankful enough to be more careful with their and MY things? So, I decided that making them more in charge of their own finances may help. My big boys now get a significant allowance, but they now pay for most of their expenses - birthday gifts for friends, snacks at a ball game, new goggles, items they break, etc... They have also picked a charity to give a fifth of their allowance, and they separate the rest into "spending" and "saving." They have begun to think about what is important to them. And I'm hoping as they begin to realize what things cost, they will become more thankful for what they have. Recently a friend was telling me about her new boyfriend having grown up with a lot of money. At first she was worried that he may be a bit spoiled and feel very entitled. Then she learned he had been working since he was like 12 years old. I don't think it is necessarily how much you grow up with, but rather how you grow up with it and if your parents can make you thankful for it. So, tall order for parents, but I think this thankful attitude is a better gift than anyTHING we can give them. I pray I can give my kids this gift. also I don't want to forget: -Elaina wore a fur white muff on her head for her tap number - how adorable is that??!! -Elaina's thighs in her tights and tap outfit. Love them. But they're getting leaner, and soon I will miss them. -Ben has been hanging with his cousins the past few days - overnights here with his buddies. He is having sooooo much fun, the embracing, the funny stuff they talk about, their cute little speech impediments - REALLY sweet. And such good timing because his big brothers have been spending the week with grandma and grandpa. The other night at bedtime, before the cousins had arrived, Ben said he missed his big brothers. The cousins have helped take his mind off of missing them.

No comments:

Post a Comment