Friday, June 25, 2010

Bull in a China Shop

I remember when Scotty was young (I would say "little" but he never really was little) he would come bounding through the room, his head way in front of his feet and stumble over whatever or whomever was in his path, and eventually fall over himself with a huge thud. Family members, friends, we would all try to pull our feet underneath of us, grab up our babies, and generally spread out and away so we didn't get stepped on or landed on or plowed into. And it is not just people who should beware, but items. We can not have pretty things around the house, they will be broken. This clumsy, and lumbering characteristic of my large children has not ended, but continued on down through every boy. Elaina is much more careful and seems to have more control of her own body, thank goodness. Perhaps it is the ballet lessons, or the karate classes, but Elaina doesn't cause many "incidents." We had one such incident with my smallest large boy, Charlie, just yesterday. We weren't at my sister's house for 30 seconds when we all heard the loudest crash EVER. Shards of glass shot across the room as a 4 foot glass vase met its demise. The culprit? A 2 year old tornado of a boy, Charlie. My husband and I joke that we need to make sure we always have our checkbook with us when we visit people so that we can pay for our damages. It is no joke any longer. We have bought the church new stained glass windows. We are often apologizing for whatever injury our boys accidentally caused during a rowdy boys' wrestling game. And soon I will be finding a lovely vase-shaped basket for my sister to replace her glass vase...Because we will likely visit again, and my "bulls" aren't ready for any China shop, and probably never will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment