Monday, June 14, 2010

What's Next!? What's Next?!

Ben and Charlie wanted to go to the park while Elaina was in class today. We stop at the park, I open the van doors, and they sprint to the playground. "Watch this mom! Look what I can do! Watch how fast I go!" They proceed to utilize all of the park equipment to its fullest potential. Running up and down the slides, spinning on the merry go round, riding hard on the rocking spring cars. I even make them do a lengthy obstacle course throughout the park equipment. I figure they will for sure fall asleep on the way home from the park, or at least be tired enough to have a quick lunch and relax in front of cartoons for a bit. Instead as soon as we get in the car they are all asking what we are going to do next. They always want to know what is coming up next. So we go home, they play in the sprinkler, and they want to know what we are doing next. They have lunch outside and they want to know what we are doing next. They come inside all wet and mess up a bunch of areas of the house and they want to know what is next. I say "Naps!" but the only one that ever falls asleep for a nap is my 2 year old. So tonight I figure, early baths and bedtime. So right after dinner I take them up for baths, and they do the usual - splash around in the tub, dump out every single last bath toy, and exert what I figure must be ALL of their energy and then they want to know what is next. We are now on my bed "watching a movie." However my 3 youngests' version of watching a movie has much less to do with movie viewing and much more to do with jumping on my bed, jumping on my face, finding, stealing and using my toothbrush, and just rolling around in my room. And they want to know what is next. I want to say to them, "kids, you are kids! enjoy the moment! Don't worry about what is next, don't worry about the future right now." Leave that to us parents. But we need to take some of our own advice. I can't seem to make a move lately without consulting my calendar, so many things planned to be "next" on my list to do. So, once again instead of TELLING the kids to "enjoy the moment and quit worrying about what is next" I guess I should try to do that myself more often. Although, I must admit tonight I'm a bit excited for what is next - BEDTIME : )

No comments:

Post a Comment